thom's directory 1930
The Wicklow Mountains extend into the northern part of county Wexford; the height in feet is given after each peak’s name here; Mount Leinster (2,610) and the Blackstairs (2,409) are on the boundary with county Carlow, Blackrock is near county Carlow but within county Wexford. Thom & Co. Limited: Description: Thom's Directory for the year 1930. in this table. Inch Island in Lough Swilly, culminates in Inch Top (732 feet). The name of the county is derived from the town of Cavan and means “”a hollow”” because of the situation of the town. Genealogy profile for Thomas Haley Thomas Haley (1848 - 1930) - Genealogy Genealogy for Thomas Haley (1848 - 1930) family tree on Geni, with over 200 million profiles of ancestors and living relatives. Visit the ancient and historic City of Londonderry and make a circuit of its old grey walls, erected in 1617, from which, in 1689, a King turned away disappointed and broken. Under Conor, King of Ulster, there arose heroes whose deeds vie with those of the Odyssey and whose fights were sung by the harpists. The baronies of Upper and Lower Slane was anciently called Hy-Criffan. When Queen Anne was on the throne William Waring, M.P., introduced diaper manufacture, and from that time Lurgan has never looked back. Is a market town with a square, which is locally believed to be the largest in Europe. Close by is Deramore House, a picturesque thatched residence, where the Act of Union was drawn up in 1800. He obtained in PhD in Management Science from HEC Paris. This is an extraction of the Royal Irish Constabulary for the years 1816-1921 … Loughs Foyle and Swilly are the most important of Donegals bays and harbours, enclosing the Inishowen peninsula. Then the War of the Revolution broke out, Mr. Brownlow opposed James II., the town being again destroyed. OF THE CENSUS FOR COUNTY ANTRIM, 1821-1926, In 1911 there were in county Antrim, 157,812 people aged 9 and Length from the point where the Blackwater enters Lough Neagh to the western boundary north of Lough Derg, 55 miles; breadth from the southern corner south of Slieve Beagh to the north-eastern boundary near Oughtmore Mountain 37 Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â½ miles. There were 594 tenements in the county, in which the room had only one occupant at that time; 826 cases where the room had two, three or four occupants; 326 cases in which there were five, six or seven occupants and 72 cases where the occupants of one room exceeded 7 in number, including 13 cases where 10 persons occupied the same room; 5 cases where there are 11 and 2 cases with 12 or more persons in the same room. To get better results, add more information such as Birth Info, Death Info and Location—even a guess will help. In 1849 transepts were added to the church, and on that occasion the skull was again exposed to view, and it was stolen, but four days later was found in the church-yard wrapped in brown paper. flowing into Lough Neagh near Antrim town. The Blackwater rises east of Benbrack Mountain, and flows near the boundary with Leitrim into Garadice Lough. North Clannaboy, to distinguish it from South Clannaboy in Co. It was from Coney Island that Coney Island in New York Harbour gained its name, Maghery emigrants being responsible for the designation. The special inhabitants of public institutions are omitted from these calculations. The centre of the district is Loughgall, a quaint old place more English than Irish in atmosphere. principal rivers are the Bann, which for 27 miles forms South Dublin Libraries’ Headquarters, Unit 1, Square Industrial Complex, Tallaght, Dublin 24 – Phone 01 4597834, Terms & Conditions of Use | Privacy Statement | Web Accessibility Statement | Site Map | About the Libraries, Thom's Official Directory of Ireland for the Year 1930. Donegal was the ancient ‘Tirconnell’ and was inhabited by Kinel Connell who was descended from Conall, son of Niall of the nine hostages, who possessed nearly the whole of Donegal. In the Cathedral Churchyard may be seen the Apprentice Boys\’ Mound wherein repose the ashes of the mighty dead. It’s length from a point in the south west of Lough Rea to a point in the north-east is 30.5 miles, and its greatest width from the River Inny to Drumshanbo Lake is 18 miles. Lurgan is not a mile from Lough Neagh, so that there is good shooting and fishing, and other sports include tennis, golf, cricket, football-both Association and Rugby and hockey, and there are good bowling greens. The first Marquis of Wellesley, Governor General of India, who triumphed over Tippoo Sahib and destroyed the Empire of Mysore, was an old boy of the School, as was Leonard Gillespie, Surgeon of the Fleet to Admiral Lord Nelson, who has left the only known account of life on Nelso’ns Flagship ‘Victory’ Of later fame is C. S. Marriott, the English cricketer, and Admiral Sir Frederick Dreyer, who is not only one of the greatest living experts on gunnery, but is also, possibly, the tallest man in the British Navy. If you post the details and dates you are looking for I can check a few Thom's for you, if you wish... (1930, 1938, 1944, 1949 etc...) Shane 10-11-2011, 18:32 #5: jos28. And noble councillors untranscended.”. upwards; of these 141,944 or 90% could read and write; 7,606 or Professor Bourveau primarily conducts empirical research. Belfast and Northern Ireland Directories are held for the years 1941, 1951 – 1962, 1964, 1966 – 1972, 1979, 1914 and 1996. It is bounded on the north by counties Fermanagh and Monaghan, on the east by Monaghan and Meath, on the south by Meath, Westmeath and Longford, and west by Longford and Leitrim. The Irish Annals record a number of their onslaughts between 832 and 1100. Between Aughnagurgall and Armagh, is a little hamlet in a very beautiful valley, and is called after St. Tassach. (1,325), around Cushendall: Aganarrive (1,225) and the seat of the Warrior Queen Maha, who compelled her captives taken in battle to build the great palace at Emhain Maha, of which the mounds and deep ditches can still be seen to-day, girdling the high hill which became for hundreds of years the centre of government for Ulster, and gave the city that importance which probably influenced St. Patrick later to make it the ecclesiastical centre of Ireland, which it has remained ever since. runs into the sea at Ballycastle, and the streams running through A thriving little town, some seven miles from Armagh, has a fine linen weaving factory and a good weekly market. Round the board stand sentinel the mountains, with Slieve Gullion looming dark in the background. Alexander Thom published the first Thom’s Irish Almanac and Official Directory in 1844. The surroundings are almost alpine in their picturesqueness, and a scheme of re-afforestation when completed will add still further to the beauty of this district. As that census was the first for which the age for consideration had been raised from 5 years to 9 years, no comparison can be made with figures from earlier censuses. Census for Ireland, the average number in each family was 4.48. There were several variations of minerals to be found in the county, copper at Kerloge near Wexford itself; lead at Caim near Enniscorthy and silver at the head of Bannow Bay. Here there is an ancient Culdee burial ground and a unique group of three double ringed forts. Permission can be obtained to go through the grounds. Garron Point, Ballygaley Head, The Gobbins, Lyle Thoms U.S., Obituary Collection, 1930-2018 Lyle D Thoms U.S. Thomas County Schools is pleased to announce that Joey Holland, SFO, Deputy Superintendent for Finance, has earned the Certified Administrator of School Finance and Operations® (SFO®) by the Association of School Business Officials International (ASBO). Lough Neagh forms part of the eastern boundary; Lough Fea is on the north-eastern border; Lough Fingrean and Loughmacrory are north-west of Pomeroy; Lough Catherine, Lough Fanny and Lough Mary are near Newtown Stewart; Moor Lough is east of Strabane. five years and upwards who were unable to read and write in 1891 On The Mall, a pretty park which contains the playing fields of the cricket and rugby football clubs, is the County Museum, in which are housed many articles illustrating various phases of the past history of the County and City, as well as articles of more general interest. In 1911 there were in the county 54,239 persons aged 9 years and upwards; of these 48,182 or 88.9% could read and write; 1,745 or 3.2% could read only and 4,312 or 7.9% were illiterate. There are burial cairns at Lathbirget and Ballykeel. Mountains: Meath is mostly level with large tracts of rich pasture land. The collection provides a fascinating insight into the towns of a county and occupations of the townsfolk. Grouped round the old Cathedral are many noble buildings, including the Library which Primate Robinson endowed in 1781, and which ranks amongst the first three in Ireland. Unfortunately Derry proved attractive to the Danes, both on account of its ecclesiastical treasures and its safe harbourage. the Glens of Antrim reach the sea at different points along the It contains a life of St. Patrick, one of the chief relics of the See of Armagh, and a copy of the New Testament; written in 807, it is a copy of a much older manuscript. Lighthouses Others were given by members of the Irish Society, and by prominent citizens. or four occupants; 81 cases in which there were five, six or seven Is one of the prettiest villages in the county and takes its name from the fort erected here by John Norris in early Plantation times to link up the Moyry Castle with Blackwatertown and Charlemont Forts. Half a dozen miles north of Armagh, close to the Portadown Road, is Kilmore – The Great Church. The Walls, happily preserved entire, were completed by 1619 at a cost of Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â£8,357. IBM was founded in 1911 in Endicott, New York, as the Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company (CTR) and was renamed "International Business Machines" in 1924. Is a beautifully situated village, with a good trout stream running through it. Following marriage he moved from Grayburn (which he had built for his father's retiral) to Braefoot in Monifieth. There were in the county 394 tenements in which the room had only one occupant; 327 cases where the room had 2-4 occupants, 108 cases in which there were 5-7 occupants and 19 cases where the occupants of one room exceeded 7 in number, including one case where ten persons occupied the same room. Meanwhile the citizens were alarmed by rumours of an impending massacre, similar to that of 1641.When Lord Antrim\’s regiment arrived on December 7th, and was being ferried across the river, two officers entered the city, demanding admission and billets for the troops. raised from 5 years to 9 years, no comparison can be made with His research lies at the intersection The Special Inmates of Public institutions are omitted from these figures. Thom's Irish Almanac and Official Directory was first published in 1844 and grew over time to include among others, a street directory for Dublin, a wide variety of information, events, listings and statistics on the United Kingdom and Ireland and names, addresses and occupations for … In 1911, there were in the county 137,551 people aged 9 years and upwards; of these 102,619 or 74.6% could read and write; 6,586 or 4.8% could read only; and 28,346 or 20.6% were illiterate. Dublin City Trade Directory. By 1901 this figure was listed as 8% and in 1911 it had Black Head and White Head which is near Carrickfergus. Tyrone an inland county in the province of Ulster, is bounded on the north by Londonderry, on the east by Lough Neagh and Armagh, on the south by Monaghan and Fermanagh, and on the west by Donegal and Fermanagh. See where across the flowing Foyle was stretched the Boom of timber and chains designed to bar the passage of the squadron that eventually brought relief to the beleaguered City. Directed by King Vidor. The Special Inmates of Public institutions are omitted from these figures. Taillteun (now Teltown) was the scene of the old Irish Olympic games and Tiachta, now the Hill of Ward, lies near Athboy. The annual "Watson's Almanac" has been published since the mid eighteenth century. It was a great trench averaging about thirty feet wide and is still some fifteen feet deep in places. It is bounded on the North by counties Leitrim and Cavan, on the east and south by Westmeath and on the west by County Roscommon. rooms; and 10,666 or 25.6% were in ocupation of four rooms. Then commenced what Lord Macaulay terms \”the most memorable siege in the annals of the British Isles.\” To his history we must refer those wishing to learn the particulars of that heroic defence which has made the city famous. At any time, use the search engine at the bottom of the page to search the entire collection, the state, the city, or just that year's directory. Dooish (1,119) and Tappaghan (1,112) are in the most southerly part of the county. Lignite or wood coal was found along the shore of Lough Neagh. The Erne rising in Lough Gowna flows through the county to where it enters Upper Lough Erne. The city was crowded with refugees. Thomas College offices will be closed beginning December 24, 2020 and will re-open on Monday, January 4, 2021 at 8 a.m. The hotel here has become in recent years the headquarters of a popular tour. He previously served on the faculty at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. is by far the largest and finest bridge in Northern Ireland, being 1,200 feet long. As regards minerals in the county, the sub-soil is basalt or trap, ANALYSIS OF THE CENSUS FOR COUNTY WEXFORD, 1821-1926. After the de Courcys came in the 13th century de Lacys, and in the 14th de Burgos, who built fortresses – Green Castle, White Castle, etc.- on the shores of Lough Foyle. Original data: Thom’s Official Directory of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland for the Year 1904. Victoria The old coach road from Dublin came down that way and it was a great haunt of Tories in the old days. Make a donation. FEATURES Industrially, Portadown has many linen weaving and handkerchief factories, foundries, flour mills, and a cider factory, while its roses have a world-wide reputation. as mid-water with County Down and on the west by Co. Derry (Londonderry). The Inishowen peninsula is nearly all mountainous, the highest point being Slieve Snaght (2,015). After this daring exploit, the citizens took stock, they found their cannon ill-mounted and without ammunition, they had only 300 men within the city who had ever borne arms, and they had few weapons for those who had experience of war; however, they set to work to repair the fortifications and to procure what arms, ammunition and assistance they could. This is a most interesting district, and contains the parish Church of Creggan, a very ancient foundation, beautifully situated. URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10599/5163: Appears in Collections: Directories Of these 444, or 2.1% occupied one room; 1,872 or 9.1% occupied two rooms; 2,821 or 13.7%, occupied three rooms; and 6,665 or 32.3% were in occupation of four rooms. The principal rivers are the Barrow which forms the western boundary with Kilkenny from its confluence with the Pollmounty river, until after receiving the waters of the Nore and the Suir and other tributaries it enters Waterford harbour. Dublin, Ireland: Alexander Thom & Co, 1904. The river Inny rises in County Westmeath and runs through County Longford for about 12 miles before it falls into Lough Ree. Since 1780, the almanac included "Wilson's Directory", which listed the names and addresses of nobility, gentry, merchants and traders living in Dublin.Around 1835, the name was changed to "Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Directory"; then "Thom's Dublin Directory" from 1851, which continues to this day.. … View complete Thom`s Motors's Used cars Inventory with exact details and reviews exclusively here. This is an extraction of the Royal Irish Constabulary for the years 1816-1921 … speaking people between the years 1861 and 1891. Thomasnet.com is the leading product sourcing and supplier discovery platform for procurement professionals, engineers, plant & facility management and business owners seeking trusted suppliers for MRO, OEM and other products/services for their industrial, manufacturing, commercial and institutional businesses Thom's Directory for the year 1930. were 374 tenements in the county in which the room had only one One, the famous Moyry Pass, is probably the route by which the men of the Iron Age entered to drive the earlier settlers of the Bronze Age into Counties Down and Antrim, as later it was the way by which the great road from Tara passed through the Southern Ulster Mountains from the central plain of Ireland. Published in ‘Ulster’ the official publication of the Ulster Development Association Ltd., 1939. In the east of the Barony of Banagh or Croaghgorm is Blaustack (2,219) and west of it are the Slieve League (1,972) and Slieveatooey (1,515) mountains, rising over the sea on the north and south coasts respectively. In the old Cathedral are monuments by famous sculptors, such as Rysbraeck, Nollekens, Chantry, Roubiliac, etc., and many old Regimental and Volunteer colours, including a French colour, the only enemy colour ever captured with-in the British Islands, and the only colour ever taken in battle by a British Regiment of Militia. This officer was born in the village of Hamiltonsbawn, a mile away, and won the Cross in the Indian Mutiny. Genealogy for Rachel Jane Woods (1872 - 1930) family tree on Geni, with over 200 million profiles of ancestors and living relatives. He teaches financial statement analysis in Columbia Business School's MBA program. Donegal, is a maritime county in the province of Ulster and it is bounded on the north and west by the Atlantic ocean and on the east by Lough Foyle, Counties Londonderry and Tyrone and on the south by counties Tyrone, Fermanagh and Leitrim. 1930 Washington St #4 Lincoln, NE 68502 (Apr 2020 - Jun 2020) 2127 Winding Way Lincoln, NE 68506 (Sep 2019 - Oct 2019) 2800 Kalmia Ave #C303 ... email address and more for free! The Cody, the Glasha, the Urrin, the Borro, the Aughnaglaur, the Derry, teh Bann, the Lask and Milltown stream are tributaries of the Slaney. occupants to one room, and 19 cases where the occupants of one Slieveanee (1,782), Slieveanorra (1,676) and Slievenahaghan Slieve Calry (or Slieve Gory) is 650 feet high and rises near Ardagh. There were 169 tenements in the county, in which the room had only one occupant at that time; 139 cases where the room had two, three or four occupants; 30 cases in which there were five, six or seven occupants and five cases where the occupants of one room exceeded 7 in number, including one case where twelve persons occupied the same room. The islands of the county include Tory island, 8 miles from the mainland, which contains the ruins of an ancient abbey and round tower founded by St. Columba in the 7th century; Aran island which rises 750 feet above the sea; and in the same neighbourhood are numerous small islands, the principle of them being Inishsirrer, Gola, Owey, Cruit, Rutland, Inishfree and Roanish. You may drive through this garden by narrow lanes and broad roads, coloured and scented by the pink and white bloom of fruit trees, by schools and villages which are gardens in themselves. Wij willen hier een beschrijving geven, maar de site die u nu bekijkt staat dit niet toe. Like Armagh, it suffered from the raids of the Norsemen who pillaged it from Carlingford Lough. Lakes: A portion of Lough Sheelin belongs to county Meath. The figures for Church of Ireland and Roman Catholics in the There were in the county 7,227 ‘Occupiers’ or ‘Heads of Families’ who were in occupation of less than five rooms, this was 90.8% of the total for the whole county. The country around the village of Ardagh was called Calry and St. Mel (the patron saint of Longford), founded a monastery in Calry. The Fews and the Black Bank Barracks were built early in the eighteenth century, one on each side of the village, to protect travellers, and from that time the trade of highwayman became too dangerous. Dublin, Ireland: Alexander Thom & Co, 1904. Thom Mayne of the architecture firm Morphosis has been selected to design the first building to be constructed on Roosevelt Island. The county of Longford was the ancient territory of Annaly, the hereditary possession of the O’Farrell family. As this census is the starting point where the age was raised from 5 years to 9 years; no comparison can be made with previous figures from other censuses. This database is a massive collection of biographical data from Europe and the United States between 1680 and 1930. Brown Thomas, where you'll find world's most exclusive luxury brands, just for you. There were in the county 11,802 ‘Occupiers’ or ‘Heads of Families’ who were in occupation of less than five rooms, this was 57.3% of the total for the whole county. Is a thriving market town which was once a linen centre, but now the linen business is concentrated in the village of Darkley, a couple of miles away. The River Swilly flows into Lough Swilly at Letterkenny; the Erne River flows into Donegal Bay; the Bradogue River enters at Bundoran and the Termon enters Lough Erne. The first meeting was held in Jackson’s house in Loughgall and the table at which the Constitution was drawn up can still be seen there. Another old territory, that of Fotharta also extended from Carlow into county Wexford and this gave its name to the Barony of Forth. The Lagan canal connects Lough Neagh with Belfast Lough. Part I: Introduction. Lough Neagh and Lough Mourne is found to the north of Carrickfergus. occupant at that time; 375 cases where the room had two, three large bogs in the county. Ireland, The Royal Irish Constabulary 1816-1921. 1926. Londonderry is the centre from which well-appointed Motor Buses radiate, not only throughout the County Donegal-to the North-West and Central Highlands of which it forms the gateway-but also to Belfast, Sligo and throughout the Counties Londonderry and Tyrone. In the Rebellion of 1641 the O’Hanlons recaptured and destroyed the castle, about which time Capt. No_Favorite. The Boyne River coming from counties Offaly (King’s) and Kildare forms the boundary of the county for 8 miles from the Yellow River. He showed that genes are linked in a series on chromosomes and are responsible for … Wm. The headlands beginning on the north east are Inishowen and Malin Heads. The UCLA Library Digital Collections includes rare and unique digital materials developed by the UCLA Library to support education, research, service, and creative expression. The first \”T own House\” was erected in 1616 in the Diamond, and was destroyed in the Siege of 1689. The Sow river flows into Wexford harbour. At Aughnagurgan, some miles to the. It is also famed for its hams and bacon. Medicine received Dr. Henry MacCormac, father of Sir William MacCormac, Bart., James Macartney, the great anatomist, while Professor Francis Hutcheson, Glasgow University, well known for his writings and teachings on moral philosophy, Joseph B. Pentland, traveller and explorer, and James Bell, F.R.S., were others who left the Orchard County to win renown, and many more are recorded in the following pages, under the places which gave them birth. Armagh County Council is the first in Ireland to have a Museum of its own. which forms the Giant’s causesway on the north coast, clay-slate The present county was part of the ancient Kingdom of Meath. Once in O’Neill’s land, Lurgan, or the parish of Shankill, was forfeited to the Crown after the flight of the Earls, and in 1609 Sir William Brownlow was given 2,500 acres which included the parish to “plant” With English families he founded the town, but in the Rebellion of 1641 Sir Phelim O’Neill destroyed it, and until the reign of King Charles II. to the ports of Cumberland, Wales and Clyde. Probably the oldest church in Ulster still in use, the old Episcopal Cathedral of Armagh stands on the site where in 445 St. Patrick built his first cathedral. There is good fishing in the Fane River, which here forms the Border between Northern and Southern Ireland, and near by is the ruined Glassdrurn.mond Castle, the home of the O’Neills of the Fews. Try our people search, reverse phone lookup or address lookup, … Updated September 7, 2002. But – the percentage of those of five years and upwards who were unable to read and write in 1891 was 31.1%. Flag this item for. The annual "Watson's Almanac" has been published since the mid eighteenth century. Tandragee was the birth place of George Benn, the historian, of Belfast. for Armagh, whose coach, drawn by six grey horses, with outriders, was often to be seen in the City of Armagh in the latter days of the eighteenth century. Call us on 281-999-7902 to see if the they have in stock what you looking for. When it was first issued in 1843 Thom's contained some 1,000 printed pages; by the time of this 1910 issue the Directory contained nearly 2,500 printed pages, which are released here in fully-searchable format. Patrick Hill Thoms FRIBA ARIAS (1873–1946) was a 20th-century Scottish architect, based in eastern Scotland. and White Park. The Sperrin mountains lie north east of Newtown Stewart, the chief summits are Crockrour (1,200), Craignagapple(1,082) and Balix Hill (1,333): near Strabane is Knockavo (972); to the east of these is Mullaghclogha (2,088) and Tornnoge (923); Dart (2,040), Sawel (2,240), Meenard (2,061) and Oughtmore (1,878), and they are on the Londonderry boundary.